Why good air quality is important?
Good outdoor air quality is fundamental to our well-being. On average, a person inhales about 14,000 litres of air every day, and the presence of contaminants in this air can adversely affect people's health. People with pre-existing respiratory and heart conditions, diabetes, the young, and older people are particularly vulnerable.
The air inside homes, offices, and other buildings can be more polluted than the air outside. Children, people with asthma, and the elderly may be especially sensitive to indoor pollutants, but other effects on health may appear years later, after repeated exposure.
5 simple steps to improve indoor air quality
1. Keep your floors fresh
- Chemicals and allergens can accumulate in household dust for decades. Get rid of allergens like pollen, pet dander and dust mites by vacuuming your floor regularly. The Karcher WD3 Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner is a super powerful machine which is able to vacuum wet and dry dirt conveniently, without filter replacement. Or you can also consider a vacuum cleaner that has strong suction, rotating brushes and a HEPA filter that ensures dust and dirt won't get blown back our in the exhaust. One recommended product would definitely be the Karcher SV7 Steam Vacuum Cleanerwhich is an impressive 3-in-1 device that steams, vacuums and dries, all in one easy procedure without the use of chemicals.
- Mopping also picks up the dust that vacuuming leaves behind. Skip the soaps and cleaners and just use plain water to capture lingering dust or allergens. Mircrofiber mop such as the Easymop A2 captures dust and dirt and do not require any cleaning solution.
- Put a large door mat at the door. A door mat reduces the amount of dirt, pesticides, and other pollutants from getting into your home.
2. Maintain a healthy level of humidity
3. Make your home a No-Smoking zone
- Mold and dust mites love moisture. Keep humidity around 30% to 50% helps to keep them and other allergens under control. A dehumidifier, Olee Eco Dry Turbo Dehumidifier 2 in 1, helps to reduce the moisture level in indoor air and effectively controls allergens. There are many places where you can actually place your dehumidifier (e.g. bedroom, wardrobe, bathroom). If you are looking to place the dehumidifier in your bedroom, consider the Olee OL900 Eco Aqua Dehumidifier with a bigger capacity.
4. Increase ventilation
- The #1 contributor to indoor air pollution is secondhand cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals and research shows that secondhand smoke increases a child's risk of developing ear and respiratory infections, asthma, cancer.
- Choose an air purifier that suits your needs. Here we show you 2 of our most popular air purifiers: Vornado AC300 Air Purifier and Stadler Form Viktor Air Purifier. Read on, and we will tell you why an air purifier is so important in the house.
- Ventilating homes reduce the level of moisture, a very major problem for indoor air quality. Using an exhaust fan is also a way to help carry pollutant out of your home.
- When cooking, make sure you ventilate your kitchen. After your shower, be sure to vent out all the steam and extra moisture in the air which can cause mold and mildew growth by turning the fan on if you have a portable one installed in the bathroom.
5. Use of Beeswax candles
- Being a natural air purifier, it is perfect for home usage. Avoid paraffin candles which are usually petroleum derived and release benzene, toluene and soot into the air.
- Beeswax candles ionise the air and neutralise toxic compounds and other contaminants. Moreover, it burns slowly so there isn't the need to replace them often. These are especially helpful for asthmatics and to remove common allergens like dust from the air.
Benefits of Air Purifiers
- Great reduction of indoor air pollutants
- Filters mold spores out of the air
- Control unwanted odors in the home like smoke, lingering cooking smells, pet odors, kitchen garbage odors
- Removes other asthma and allergen triggers from the air
- True HEPA filter air purifiers remove allergens and impurities from the environment
Vornado AC300 Air Purifier
This air purifier is one of our star products in Home-Fix where it uses the true HEPA technology so that 99.97% of particles can be captured and removed from the environment. It does not release any harmful substances or ozone and covers up to 220 square feet.
Click here to learn more about our air purifier which will definitely be beneficial for your family's health and well-being.